[virt-tools-list] virt-manager/libvirt backwards compatibility problem?

Whit Blauvelt whit.virt at transpect.com
Mon Jul 18 12:32:01 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:02:58AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 08:46:53PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 10:41:43AM -0400, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Apologies to those who may receive this twice. I posted this and a couple of
> > > followups to libvirt-users last Monday with no response. Since it's a
> > > question that straddles the interests of the two lists, I'm hoping I can do
> > > better here. The basic question:
> > >
> > > - It appears that virt-manager and virsh, if run on a system with libvirt
> > >   0.9.x on it, cannot connect to systems whose libvirt is 0.8.x
> >
> > We rewrote the remote layer in 0.9.3(?).  I know that at least one
> > thing broke (TLS?) and was fixed shortly afterwards.  Can't find a
> > link right now ...  Perhaps this rewrite and/or breakage is
> > responsible?
>
> It only broke error reporting in the event that the server rejected
> the client certificate. I successfully connect to old server from
> new client, and vica-verca both with & without TLS

My instance was using qemu+ssh. 0.9.2 and 0.9.3 as client both failed to
connect to 0.8.3 - while 0.8.8 (and of course 0.8.3) could connect, and the
0.9.x's could connect to 0.9.x's. Since DRBD-MC (which overlaps with
virt-manager in capabilities) could connect to all, from the same client
systems, throughout, it looks like something specific to the use of libvirt
as client (in that both virsh and virt-manager failed). The 0.9.x libvirts
(and corresponding virt-manager) were built from tar; the 0.8.x instances
are the Ubuntu versions. The development libraries used for the builds were
standard Ubuntu (from 10.10 in one instance, and 11.04 in another).

Beyond that I know not. I've accepted that 0.9.x is not ready for
production in our mixed environment.

Best,
Whit