[virt-tools-list] How to install to a usb drive?

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Wed Jul 27 21:49:09 UTC 2011

Hi,
I'm trying to use virt-manager to install Centos 6 on an usb drive. The
problem is that I don't see the device in the guest.

When I pass though the usb device it doesn't show up as a storage option
during partitioning.

When I try to add /dev/sdb (the usb stick) as a USB storage device I get
the following error:

Unable to complete install '<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> internal error
Process exited while reading console log output: char device redirected to
/dev/pts/3
qemu-kvm: -device usb-storage,drive=drive-usb-disk0,id=usb-disk0: Parameter
'driver' expects a driver name
Try with argument '?' for a list.

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1561, in
do_install
     dom = guest.start_install(False, meter = meter)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 973, in
start_install
     return self._do_install(consolecb, meter, removeOld, wait)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 1038, in
_do_install
     "install")
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 1009, in
_create_guest
     dom = self.conn.createLinux(start_xml, 0)
   File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1270, in
createLinux
     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
conn=self)
libvirtError: internal error Process exited while reading console log
output: char device redirected to /dev/pts/3
qemu-kvm: -device usb-storage,drive=drive-usb-disk0,id=usb-disk0: Parameter
'driver' expects a driver name
Try with argument '?' for a list.

What do I have to do to make it properly show up as /dev/sda in the guest?

Regards,
   Dennis