[virt-tools-list] sparse files and ls

Not sure if this is a bug or in inconsistency so I figured I would post this here before filing a bug.  When I create a qcow2 image file using qemu-img, the default is a sparse file.  'ls -lash' shows that the file only has a small size.  However, when I create a raw file, the same ls command shows the size to be the full size of the image file, not just the size of the contents.  At first I thought I just wasn't getting a sparse file, but things like df show the drive to have the size actually in use.  I also wonder if when I transfer the file using scp, am I sending a lot of zeroes through the network needlessly?

Thanks for any insight.

Gary Scarborough