Re: [virt-tools-list] virt-manager, port for FreeBSD

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 02:37:55PM -0400, Cole Robinson thus spake:
On 06/10/2011 01:48 PM, Jason Helfman wrote:
Hello All,

I was hoping I could have some information cleared up for the dependencies
for virt-manager, as I have ported this to FreeBSD. I've also ported
virtinst to FreeBSD, as well
    .
According to the dependencies listed on the web page we have the below:
(webpage)

Virtual Machine Manager has the following dependencies

python >= 2.4 - virt-manager is written in Python!
pygtk2 >= 1.99.12-6 - the Python GTK2 bindings are used for the UI
gnome-python2-gconf >= 1.99.11-7 - GConf stores application preferences
libvirt-python >= 0.4.0 - libVirt is for talking to Xen, QEMU, KVM and other
virtualization backensd
dbus-python >= 0.61 - optionally expose a service on the bus for control of
the UI

Dbus isn't a hard requirement for virt-manager, however it will probably
backtrace on startup if dbus-python isn't available. Should be fairly easy to
patch around this dependency though, some minor functionality won't be usable
though.

I left this in, as it sounds like it would be good to have.

gnome-python-desktop >= 2.15.4 - optionally store VNC server passwords in
GNOME keyring
libxml2-python >= 2.6.23 - used to parse XML from libvirt
vte >= 0.12.2 - for displaying / interacting with the serial console
virtinst >= 0.300.3 - python library for assisting in creating VMs
gtk-vnc-python >= 0.3.4 - GTK widget for displaying VNC sessions

Is gnome-python-desktop a requirement if you don't want Gnome Keyring, or if
you don't want Gnome Keyring, are neither required?

Aren't strictly required. The code might not handle it nicely though, you'll
have to run and see.

Nothing to test on at the moment, unfortunately, other than it working on my
desktop, so I will leave this in as well, but did remove the requirement for
the gnome-keyring. When I can do futher testing, I can consider removing.

And in the spec file, there are additional requirements listed:

# Required for loading the glade UI
Requires: pygtk2-libglade
# Required for our graphics which are currently SVG format
Requires: librsvg2

Are these in the rpm still a requirement?

Yes. In general, the RPM spec has most up to date requirements. libglade is a
hard requirement. Librsvg2 requirement could be avoided by just not using the
default icon, if it proves to be an issue. But it's prob already available for BSD

Libglade is in the port now, as it came in as a dependency of another port
during my build. I added Librsvg2, though.

I've also found that urlgrabber (python module), is also a requirement, but
not listed anywhere.

Yeah, urlgrabber is a dependency of virtinst, so virt-manager kinda piggybacks
on that. It should be an explicit dependency though. Sorry I didn't mention
the urlgrabber virtinst dependency in previous emails, slipped my mind.

I removed urlgrabber from virt-manager, and added it to virinst.
Thanks for the work!

- Cole

Your welcome, and thanks for the information!

--
Jason Helfman
System Administrator