Re: [virt-tools-list] NIC -> connect as Physical Host Device - monitor socket did not show up

On 03/04/2011 09:37 AM, tony blue mailinglist gmx de wrote:
Hello,

i try to virtualise my (physical) router. My Router includes

- eth0 - the local Network
- eth1 (over PPP DSL) - Internet

eth0 is running. I build my eth1 device in my Host. In the Host I try to connect the virtual-System with the physical Host Device. But when I start the virtual Router I got:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line 588, in run_domain
vm.startup()
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 150, in startup
self._backend.create()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 300, in create
if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: monitor socket did not show up.: Connection refused

Like http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM I modified my Kernel.

dmesg | grep AMD-Vi  gives me no response (?)

My Host-System:
* AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 600e Processor
* Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 Mainboard

this mainboard has 770 chipset which does not support IOMMU, this means you can't assign a physical device. you will require at least a mainboard with 890FX chipset.

* Ubuntu-Server-AMD64

  Please excuse my bad english. I am not a native speaker.

Thank you!

Tony