[virt-tools-list] virt-manager, virtinst, virt-viewer moved to git

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Mon Mar 14 16:42:27 UTC 2011

On 03/14/11 - 04:30:56PM, Jon Nordby wrote:
> On 14 March 2011 16:12, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've converted the repos for virt-manager, virtinst, and virt-viewer to
> > git. You can check them here:
> >
> > virtinst: http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=python-virtinst.git;a=summary
> >
> > virt-manager: http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=virt-manager.git;a=summary
> >
> > virt-viewer: http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=virt-viewer.git;a=summary
> >
> > The old HG repos will not be sync'd, they are effectively discontinued.
> >
> > I think this is a bit overdue, the rest of our virt stack is all using
> > git, and this has been requested many times. Hopefully no one finds it
> > controversial :)
> >
> Great! Increases the chances of more patches from me at least :)
>
> You might want to push commits to the hg repositories "announcing"
> this change. It can happen that one stumbles across the repos
> directly, and then its nice to have this information right there.
> Also, not everyone who track the hg repositories are necessarily
> following the mailinglist.

Yeah, I second that.  What I've done in the past when renaming repositories
is to do one last commit on the old repository that deletes everything except
for a README file telling people where to find the new repository.  The
history is still intact for those just dying to use the old mercurial repo,
but it is clear to most everyone else that this repository is dead.

--
Chris Lalancette