Re: [virt-tools-list] virt-v2v question involving esx

On 17/03/11 19:27, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
[Adding Matt]

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 02:59:40PM -0400, Kenneth Armstrong wrote:
I have a vm on an esx server that I want to convert using virt-v2v.  I
know that it can connect to the esx server and copy the vmdk files
down to do its conversion, but can I just use wget or something like
that to copy the vmdk files down first, then use virt-v2v to convert
the vm?

The reason that I ask is that it would be better for me to do it this
way, so that after I copy the vm files down, I can start the vm back
up and let it be used while virt-v2v does the conversion on the copied
image files.  I like virt-v2v, but it takes a long time to do it's job
with the copying.

Are you saying that wget is substantially faster than virt-v2v's copying? I ask because virt-v2v uses the same http interface to retrieve the image. It actually streams and writes directly to the target destination, so unless the target destination is slow, I wouldn't expect this to save you a significant amount of time. The actual conversion process usually takes about a minute, so the copying time dominates almost completely.

It is possible to do what you're asking, but it's a hassle. You'd need to obtain the storage files, create a local libvirt XML file which points to the local copies, then run virt-v2v using the libvirtxml input method.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490