Re: [virt-tools-list] virt-v2v question involving esx

On 03/18/2011 11:34 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:
On 17/03/11 19:27, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
[Adding Matt]

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 02:59:40PM -0400, Kenneth Armstrong wrote:
I have a vm on an esx server that I want to convert using virt-v2v. I
know that it can connect to the esx server and copy the vmdk files
down to do its conversion, but can I just use wget or something like
that to copy the vmdk files down first, then use virt-v2v to convert
the vm?

The reason that I ask is that it would be better for me to do it this
way, so that after I copy the vm files down, I can start the vm back
up and let it be used while virt-v2v does the conversion on the copied
image files. I like virt-v2v, but it takes a long time to do it's job
with the copying.

Are you saying that wget is substantially faster than virt-v2v's copying? I
ask because virt-v2v uses the same http interface to retrieve the image. It
actually streams and writes directly to the target destination, so unless
the target destination is slow, I wouldn't expect this to save you a
significant amount of time. The actual conversion process usually takes
about a minute, so the copying time dominates almost completely.

It is possible to do what you're asking, but it's a hassle. You'd need to
obtain the storage files, create a local libvirt XML file which points to
the local copies, then run virt-v2v using the libvirtxml input method.

If the vmdk file is sparse then you might end up copying a lot less data compared to a virt-v2v copy and since as you point out the copying is the thing that dominates the migration time that can potentially be a big win. It would be nice if virt-v2v had an option to not copy the block device but instead the contents of a filesystem but that would probably make things much more complicated since you'd have to support all kinds of filesystems, LVM, potentially also copy UUID's etc., etc.

Regards,
  Dennis