Re: [virt-tools-list] virt-manger: KVM is not available.

On 05/05/2011 10:38 AM, Florian Lindner wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 05 Mai 2011, 16:21:13 schrieb Cole Robinson:
>> Ah okay. The issue is that libvirt only advertises KVM if it finds a
>> file named qemu-kvm or kvm, so it won't by default allow using kvm with
>> a stock qemu release. You can probably work around this by symlinking
>> /usr/bin/qemu-kvm to /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64. Might want to file a
>> bug with your distro to do the same (or have them actually ship the
>> forked qemu that is distributed with KVM upstream, since it's generally
>> what receives the most testing).
> Ok. I installed qemu (in contrast to qemu-kvm) because I thought it received
> more testing than a fork, since it closer to upstream.
> Whatever... I installed qemu-kvm instead now and the message vanished.
> Please allow me to attach another question to this thread, presumably simpler.
> My / is on an SSD, /home is on a HD. I'm the only user on the machine. Default
> path for libvirt/virt-manager to store images seems to be
> /var/lib/libvirt/images and I can't change this as user.
> What is the right way to store the images elsewhere?
> Modify etc/libvirt/storage/default.xml ?

Firstly you don't ever want to edit the XML directly under /etc/libvirt,
in this case you want to use virsh pool-edit. See the 2 FAQ questions here:

> Symlink /var/lib/libvirt/images to /home/florian/... ?

Easiest way is:

virsh pool-destroy default
virsh pool-edit default
change target to /home/florian/whatever/dir/you/want
save and exit
virsh pool-start default