Re: [virt-tools-list] [Qemu-devel] Virt Tools Survey: What to do about virt-clone

I am just now switching things over to using KVM so I haven't been doing this much yet, but have used cloning a lot in the past. One question I have is, what is Red Hat doing in its VDI implementation? If you support VDI, I would think you have to have something to do the end configuration.

Here is what I do in the physical labs I manage, since its basically the same problem:

For WinXP: I cobbled together a set of tools to change the machine name and then used a tool called newsid.exe to generate a new SID for the machine. That was all that was required as the hardware was the same on each machine. We no longer support WinXP.

For Win7: As far as I know, in Windows 7, SID is no longer used to identify machines. We have a central license server that WIndows finds to register. Still using the same tool to change the machine name. The only thing I have to do is manually tell the machine to register its copy of Windows through a batch script. I do my imaging in a linux environment, mount the partition with ntfs-3g, generate a script custom to that machine, and drop it on the hard drive to run after reboot. The script contains the machine specifics based on IP address. It takes about 10 minutes to run through the scripts and do all the rebooting that it needs to do.

--
Gary Scarborough
IST Lab Manager

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.