[virt-tools-list] Cant access Cd drive during boot

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 12:36:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 08:15:26AM -0800, Dale Marthaller wrote:
> I have a working VM guest but I need to reboot the guest from CD to
> run some partitioning tools. I have not been able to boot from the
> CD.

I suggest you use virt-rescue.  It's a lot easier than messing around
with boot CD configuration.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-rescue.1.html

virt-rescue contains some common partitioning tools already, and you
can attach a second disk containing any other (Linux) tools you need.

> I have changed the boot options to allow for boot from CD but
> still no luck. I want to access the guest in monitor mode
> (Ctrl-Alt-2) but for the life of me have not been able to make this
> work, any ideas?

The monitor is explicitly *not* available from libvirt.  It would be a
huge security hole for us to allow any user to just switch over to the
monitor and start typing any monitor commands.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top