[virt-tools-list] [PowerKVM][RFC]setting machine type in virt-manager

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Nov 29 15:32:18 UTC 2011

On 11/28/2011 09:51 PM, Li Zhang wrote:
> On 11/28/2011 03:41 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> On 11/22/2011 09:59 AM, zhlcindy at linux.vnet.ibm.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Now ppc can support several types of machine. And in the qemu,
>>> the default machine type is mac99. So when we try to install
>>> a VM with virt-manager,from libvirt log file the machine type
>>> is always mac99, but I need pseries machine type.
>>>
>>> So I am trying to add an option for setting right machine type.
>>> I need some comments from you. Any suggestion is appreciated.
>>>

>> I would change the 'New VM' wizard to offer a machine drop down if any arch
>> besides i686/x86_64 is chosen. virt-install already has a --machine option so
>> you could check that code to see how to set the value, and just try and copy
>> other existing UI bits from the current 'New VM' wizard.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Cole
>>

> Got it. Thanks very much. I add a combo machine drop down in the machine
> setting. Is that OK?

Well, that's what I initially thought to do. But there aren't many
reasons for a user to change the machine type of an existing VM, and
accidentally changing it can cause an unbootable VM. So sticking it
under machine settings of the VM Details window isn't very useful IMO
and could lead the user to make mistakes.

My ideal plan would be:
- Show the machine type as a non editable field in VM
Details->Overview->Machine Settings
- If installing a non-x86 guest, show a machine type combo box at the
end of the new VM wizard.
- Never show anything about the machine type for i686/x86_64 guests.
Reason is that on fedora at least we have machine types like fedora13,
fedora14, etc. which maybe confuse the user into thinking it has
something to do with the OS installed in the guest (which it doesn't at
all).

Thanks,
Cole