[virt-tools-list] virt-install not rebooting guest after install

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Nov 29 16:06:20 UTC 2011

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 02:41:45PM -0800, Micheal Waltz wrote:
>> On 11/28/2011 01:36 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> All you would have to do is watch to see
>>> when the guest has shutdown, and then virsh start it again. Thus
>>> you could parallelize things fairly easily.
>>
>> I was able to use --wait=-1 in combination with subshells to have
>> the install reboot successfully. This was hit-and-miss though where
>> some domains would work and others would give the error:
>>
>> ERROR    cannot send monitor command '{"execute":"query-balloon"}':
>> Connection reset by peer
>
> FWIW, that error messages shows that QEMU has crashed / abnormally
> terminated the libvirt monitor command. If you're lucky you can
> find further info in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$GUEST.log which might
> indicate what the problem was. Otherwise you'd need to try and
> capture a coredump to debug it further.

Actually I think this is just a race. The guest is shutting down but a
part of virt-install is calling dominfo(), which is trying to talk to
the qemu monitor, and errors when the domain is finally stopped. Since
Michael was probably running multiple parallel installs, the host was
loaded which probably makes seeing this issue more likely.

- Cole