[virt-tools-list] [libosinfo 5/8] Add osinfo_db_identify_media

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Mon Dec 10 20:45:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Christophe Fergeau
<cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 06:42:43PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
>> > +
>> > +/**
>> > + * osinfo_db_identify_media:
>> > + * @db: a #OsinfoDb database
>> > + * @media: the installation media
>> > + * data
>> > + *
>> > + * Try to match the @media created using osinfo_media_create_from_location()
>>
>> This makes it sound like app developer doesn't have a choice. As an
>> app developer, I'd think why is libosinfo not creating the media
>> instance for me if it knows that I'll be doing that just before this
>> call anyways.
>>
>> I recall that you are doing it this way because implementing async
>> version of this method will than be very difficult?
>
> Not really difficult, but we already have async methods that can be used to
> read the needed info from an image
> (osinfo_media_create_from_location{_async}). It also does not strike me as
> so bad to separate actual disk IO from DB lookups,

Only that there is no advantage to app developers, only minor inconvenience.

> Adding an all-in-one
> method would mean at least 3 more API calls, redundant with the existing
> functions, ...
> so I prefer to stay with the standalone _identify_media
> call. Nothing prevents us from adding more calls later if they are really
> needed, removing redundant calls is harder.

IMO we already know that they are needed. If we have one function that
does both, we'd want to use that in Boxes for example. Can't be sure
of other apps of course but I don't see why any app would prefer two
calls over one.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)