[virt-tools-list] [libvirt-users] I can't virt-clone into an existing LVM now (ERROR: clone onto existing storage volume is not supported:) - i could in previous lbvirt versions? (deployment scripts no longer work...)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 10:35:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:22:00AM +0100, Morgan Cox wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was under the impression that virt-clone would create new UUId,s etc
> where as virt-resize doesn't ?

In my previous message I said:

  "[...] plus it [virt-clone] makes a handful of changes to the
  libvirt config.  You can do most of this by alternate means."

> All I am trying to do is use a VM (in LVM) as a template to use to clone .
>
> The templates are only about 3GB - so to deploy the template I need to
> resize them.
>
> This is why i did this
>
> TEMPLATE -> [virt-clone] -> new_vm.tmp  (to create new UUIDs , etc)

If virt-clone doesn't work then you should just copy and resize the
disk image using one step of virt-resize, create a new libvirt XML
configuration, and finally 'virsh define' the new guest.  This would
involve just a single copy and is about the most efficient way of
doing it (even using qcow2 or LUN clones / FlexClone is unlikely to be
better).

> If there is a more sensible way of doing this I would like to know !

See above.

> Anyway is there a way of forcing being able to copy to an existing LVM
> partition ??  As mentioned I could do it fine in Ubuntu 10.04 not
> 12.04 - i.e do I need to recompile libvirt, etc ?

$ virt-resize /dev/vg/lv_template /dev/vg/lv_new

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v