Re: [virt-tools-list] Using Virt_What on windows application

On 07/31/2012 01:28 PM, Juan Saba wrote:
> Dear People, I am software developer self-made that try to protect my work
> from installing on virtual machines and then distribute.

Unfortunately, the primary audience of this list believes in Free
Software (as in freedom, not beer).  The very notion of writing software
that refuses to run in certain situations is anti-free, so you probably
won't get much sympathy for your goal.

> Is there a way to use Virt_What to stop my program is it trying to use on
> VM?

Nope.  The ideal hypervisor is one in which the fact that you are
running in a VM is transparent; while virt-what can generally make good
guesses about whether it is in a VM, it is documented up front that
there is no 100% reliable way to prove this.

That said, the fastest VMs happen to be the ones that _are_ aware that
they are virtual, so they can take advantage of hypercalls to the host
for closer cooperation and better overall efficiency, so virt-what will
usually get the right answer in most practical VM setups, provided that
virt-what has been ported to that particular guest OS.