[virt-tools-list] Windows 7 don't boot in KVM on Fedora 16

Martin Edlman martin.edlman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 14:18:01 UTC 2012

Hello,

after some time I tried again if there is any good change in KVM booting
Windows 7. Still no luck.

I did fresh install of Windows 7 (32 bit) into KVM virtual machine
(qemu-kvm, i686 arch) on my Fedora 16 (x64) running on HP Pavilion dv7 (4GB
RAM, intel i7 CPU).

Installation went (slow but) fine. After that Windows refuse to boot and
all I see is a cursor on top left corner. See attached log. First two boots
are from installation, the last one is when Windows should boot to normal
operation. According to the log, W7 was installed under qemu-kvm, i686
arch, so it should be able to run.

I tried installing Windows XP and Fedora 16 (both 32bit versions, qemu-kvm,
i686 arch). They both work fine.

I searched other sites and found that there are other users experiencing
the same problem. See
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/qemu-says-my-cpu-is-too-old-897074/.

I'm able to run W7 in VMWare Player with hw virtualization without problem
and as others wrote (see link above) it's running fine in Virtual Box as well.

So I'm affraid there's a problem in qemu-kvm. Please try to fix it.

I (and i hope many other) would really appreciate it. I'd like to get rid
of VMWare as it recompiles modules after each kernel update and when there
are siginificant changes in kernel headers it won't compile (and run) at all.

Martin E.