[virt-tools-list] Add an option allowing the use of a defined tap device with "virt-install"

Tina Rakotoarivelo tina.rakotoarivelo at inria.fr
Sun Mar 4 23:47:48 UTC 2012

Hello,

We use KVM with libvirt on a scientific instrument designed to supports
experiment-driven research in all areas of computer science related to
large-scale parallel or distributed systems.

Our users do not have root access on the production environment. A
script based on "sudo" is available to create tap devices (tap0...tapn).
So they can run their guest VMs with "kvm" or "virsh" commands using the
defined tap devices and a defined range of MAC adresses (we have an ACL
for DHCP requests from all VMs).

Now, we want to allow the users to use "virt-install" with a tap device
already created.
So we want to evaluate if adding that option to "virt-install" is
difficult or not?

Thanks for your help,
Regards,

--