[virt-tools-list] virt-manager won't let me fully virtualize

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri May 4 21:51:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 12:35:54PM -0400, Alan McKay wrote:
> If virt-manager does not give me the option to fully virtualize when adding
> a new DomU, does that mean my hardware does not suppor it?
>
> It is a relatively old Dell PowerEdge (1850 I think).  Maybe 7 or 8 years
> old.

At 7 or 8 years old, it might just have hardware virtualization if it
was one of the very leading edge development machines (like an Intel
SVP) at the time it was released, but it's highly unlikely.

You can find out if your hardware supports virtualization by following
this guide I wrote:

  http://virt-tools.org/learning/check-hardware-virt/

You can still use qemu.  Or Xen paravirtualization (certain Linux
guests only).

Rich.