[virt-tools-list] libguestfs for Windows guests?

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at ponderworthy.com
Fri May 4 22:41:22 UTC 2012

>>> Is libguestfs working for Windows guests?
>>
>> Ccing libguestfs list.
> Thanks.
>
> Yes, it works fine on Windows guests.
>
> On RHEL 6 (*only*) you have to install the libguestfs-winsupport
> package from RHN.
>
> On Fedora and other distros, Windows guests are supported out of the
> box:
>
>    $ virt-inspector -a /dev/vg_pin/WinXP | head
>    <?xml version="1.0"?>
>    <operatingsystems>
>      <operatingsystem>
>        <root>/dev/sda1</root>
>        <name>windows</name>
>        <arch>i386</arch>
>        <distro>windows</distro>
>         <product_name>Microsoft Windows XP</product_name>
>        <major_version>5</major_version>
>        <minor_version>1</minor_version>
>
> Is there any particular problem you're having?
>
> Rich.

H'm.  Well, I'm doing this on Arch Linux, and I don't seem to have a
virt-inspector command.  I did set up an area for guestfs successfully
in virt-manager, but was not able to figure out how to find it in
Windows.  The guest is Windows 7 64-bit, if that makes a difference.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman
/Ponderworthy Music/ <http://ponderworthy.com>