Re: [virt-tools-list] [libosinfo 2/2] win8: Add one more volume ID pattern

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 03:36:17PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> It looks like it.  For libguestfs we need to variant as I described.
> We don't care about Editions.  Although there is probably a mapping
> between "Editions" and the variant which is finally installed.

libosinfo lists win2k8 and win7 as 2 totally unrelated OSes:

<os id="http://microsoft.com/win/2k8";>
    <short-id>win2k8</short-id>
    <name>Microsoft Windows Server 2008</name>
    <version>6.0</version>
    <vendor>Microsoft Corporation</vendor>
    <family>winnt</family>
    <distro>win</distro>
    <derives-from id="http://microsoft.com/win/2k3r2"/>
    <upgrades id="http://microsoft.com/win/2k3r2"/>
</os>

<os id="http://microsoft.com/win/7";>
    <short-id>win7</short-id>
    <name>Microsoft Windows 7</name>
    <version>6.1</version>
    <vendor>Microsoft Corporation</vendor>
    <family>winnt</family>
    <distro>win</distro>
    <derives-from id="http://microsoft.com/win/vista"/>
    <upgrades id="http://microsoft.com/win/vista"/>
</os>

Editions would split these entries some more, but would not create
relations between win2k8 and win7, so I think more work will be needed to
support your use case. What is the problem that you are trying to solve
with this desktop/server relations in Windows versions?

Christophe