[virt-tools-list] [libosinfo 3/5] Mark obvious strings in DB for translation

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Fri Oct 19 13:19:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:56:37AM +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:
>> Or, are you trying to allow translation of XML element values? Again,
>> translating CentOS is not a good idea. I cannot even imagine situation
>> where this is needed.
>
> Yes, the goal is to translate the element content. It's nice at least for
> Windows versions which have localized names for their different editions:
> http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-FR/windows7/products/compare
> Now that you mention it, marking every single name as translatable is
> probably overkill (unless in some languages, they transliterate the names
> in the script they are using?)

Yes, thats exactly the point. Think global, not western-only. :) Here
you see information about Microsoft and Windows in Arabic:

http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%8A%D9%83%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%B3%D9%88%D9%81%D8%AA
. "مايكروسوفت" is simply Microsoft but in arabic script.
http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%8A%D9%83%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%B3%D9%88%D9%81%D8%AA_%D9%88%D9%8A%D9%86%D8%AF%D9%88%D8%B2

About versions:

1. I'm not exactly sure if they are guaranteed to be numbers
2. Numbers also need to be translated in many locales and this
includes even western languages. Recall our discussion about use of

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124