Re: [virt-tools-list] [libosinfo v2 1/4] Add translation framework

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau redhat com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 08:29:54PM +0300, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Christophe Fergeau
>> <cfergeau redhat com> wrote:
>> > Standalone binaries generally use
>> >   setlocale (LC_ALL, "");
>> >   textdomain (GETTEXT_PACKAGE);
>> >
>> >   bindtextdomain (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, GLIB_LOCALE_DIR);
>> >
>> > #ifdef HAVE_BIND_TEXTDOMAIN_CODESET
>> >   bind_textdomain_codeset (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "UTF-8");
>> > #endif
>>
>> AFAIK they only do the last 3 calls if they have their own gettext
>> domain but in these binaries we just use libosinfo' gettext domain.
>
> Hmm, might be, on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to have all of this in
> case application writers use these tools as a template. The textdomain()
> call will be needed if these tools were to use translatable strings by
> themselves (as opposed to translated strings coming from libosinfo).

I really don't see why we should add redundant code to each tool to
ensure that someone taking these tools as template does not end-up not
having their strings getting translated but if it satisfies, i'll do
it..

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124