[virt-tools-list] Virtual Machine IP & Port Settings

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Sep 2 18:40:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 03:44:36PM +0000, Service Computing wrote:
> I am using the following to install a virtual machine:
> virt-install --hvm --name windows7 --ram 1024--disk path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/windows8.img,size=15 --cdrom /var/lib/libvirt/images/iso/win-32bit.iso
>
> I need to assign IP address for this particular virtual machine
> along with port, so that I can access it from a web browser.I am
> using ubuntu server 11.10 with xen hypervisor-4.1.0 & libvirt-0.4.5.

The VM will pick up an IP address in the usual way that it does during
installation.  In most cases this means it will get the IP address
from the DHCP server, which would be libvirt's built-in DHCP server
unless you use the shared physical device option:

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Bridged_networking_.28aka_.22shared_physical_device.22.29

Since DHCP servers can be configured to give out a specific IP address
to machines with a specific MAC address, you can specify the MAC
address of the guest using the virt-install --network=...,mac=X
option.

Another alternative is to use some sort of kickstart installation,
eg. a Windows unattended install.

Rich.