Re: [virt-tools-list] Error when cloning using virt-manager

On 09/06/2012 09:04 AM, Renato Alves wrote:

> However, from a Gentoo machine running virt-manager 0.9.4 (also tried
> 0.8.7) I can't clone a machine and I always get the error:
>

> ValueError: Could not use path
> '/var/lib/libvirt/images/base-debian-clone.img' for cloning: invalid
> storage volume pointer in no storage vol with matching path

This sounds like you don't have a storage pool running on the directory
/var/lib/libvirt/images (Fedora pre-installs a 'default' storage pool at
this location, but I suspect that your gentoo machine did not).  To
confirm, compare the output of these commands between your two boxes:

virsh pool-list
virsh pool-info default

> The error seems to point to a missing image, however I've checked and
> the image exists on that folder on the remote server.

Not a missing image, so much as a missing storage pool.  Libvirt can
only clone files that live in a storage pool, and we haven't yet wired
it up to be smart enough to auto-instantiate a transient pool around the
directory of all files that are not already in a persistent pool
(although I someday want to get to that point).

> This error doesn't happen on the Debian machine. There I can clone
> without any problem.

Again, probably a case of your distro automatically installing a
'default' pool.