[virt-tools-list] Error when cloning using virt-manager

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Sep 7 11:58:56 UTC 2012

[please don't top-post on technical lists]

On 09/07/2012 05:32 AM, Renato Alves wrote:
> Hi again Eric,
>
> I think I need to rephrase what I'm trying to achieve as you seem to be
> pointing me to things which are on a higher level of complexity.
>
> What I'm really trying to do is clone a machine *from* and *to* the same
> host. I am not migrating a machine to another host. I only have one host
> at the moment. So the source and destination are the same machine and
> instance.
>
> What I do have is two other machines on which I use virt-manager to
> *remotely* manage this host and which are giving me different outputs.
>
> On these two client machines, I open virt-manager, I connect via ssh to
> the host and try to clone a machine (again, source and destination are
> the same host).
> When doing this on one machine (Debian) it works, but on the other
> (Gentoo) it fails with the error from before. And as stated on the
> but it made no difference.

Then that certainly sounds like a bug in virt-manager, or possibly even
in libvirt for letting the file layout on the remote client affect the
success or failure of the command on the machine where the clone is
occurring.  And yes, libvirt does have some poor API that _do_ mishandle
relative file names, insisting that they be absolute before passing them
over the wire, but which means that they are broken by design if the
client and source don't share the same directory layout; although it is
a known design flaw, no one has yet taken time to propose new API that
avoids the flaw.