[virt-tools-list] rpm spec file problem

As I stated in a previous message, I have a problem doing rpmbuild -ts with the tarball created for virt-manager. This problem predates the gtk3.2 branch since it also occurs with RELEASE-0.9.4-1. I know what the problem is but not why it is happening or how to (acceptably) fix it.

I have my own rpm build tree (like most folks do). However, I like my source and spec files grouped and not in one big pile. Therefore, I have an .rpmmacros file with the following specified:
    # %_sourcedir is where the source code tarballs, patches, etc. will be
    # placed after you do an "rpm -ivh somepackage.1.0-1.src.rpm"
    %_sourcedir     %{_topdir}/%{name}-%{version}

# %_specdir is where the specfile gets placed when installing a src.rpm. I # prefer the specfile to be in the same directory as the source tarballs, etc.
    %_specdir       %{_sourcedir}

and the problem is that I specify %{_topdir}/%{name}-%{version} although it could have also been
    %{_topdir}/SOURCE/%{name}-%{version}
with the same results:
rpmbuild -ts virt-manager-0.9.4.tar.gz
error: Unable to open /home/gc/devel/rpmbuild/SOURCE/virt-manager/virt-manager.spec: No such file or directory
with %_sourcedir     %{_topdir}/SOURCE/%{name}

or
rpmbuild -ts virt-manager-0.9.4.tar.gz
error: Unable to open /home/gc/devel/rpmbuild/SOURCE/virt-manager-0.9.4/virt-manager.spec: No such file or directory
with %_sourcedir     %{_topdir}/%{name}-%{version}

I have run this way for years and have never had a problem with any other package so I must conclude that it is something about the virt-manager.spec file that is causing the problem. It may be a problem with rpmbuild it it is only with the virt-manager.spec file.

Anybody have any ideas?

One solution that is not acceptable is to remove %{name}-%{version}

Gene