Re: [virt-tools-list] "clone this disk" not available to remote connections

I totally understand what's going on now, and am getting familiar with the page on storage http://libvirt.org/storage.html .

Thanks for the clue!

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Cole Robinson <crobinso redhat com> wrote:
On 10/01/2013 12:30 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 10/01/2013 10:23 AM, Kevin Goess wrote:
>> We're just getting setup with kvm and virt-manager, and we noticed that on
>> the "Clone virtual machine" screen, the "Clone this disk" option is
>> greyed-out if you're using virt-manager over a remote connection.  It's
>> only available to remote connections.
>>
>> I see the source code in clone.py
>>
>> ```python
>> def can_we_clone(conn, vol, path):
>>        if conn.is_remote():
>>             msg = _("Cannot clone unmanaged remote storage.")
>> ```
>>
>> My question is *why* can we not clone unmanaged remote storage, or what do
>> we have to do to make it "managed"?
>
> To make it managed, set up a storage pool for each disk image in use by
> the domain.

As for 'why', on a remote connection, the only way we can touch the remote
host is through libvirt APIs. But if libvirt doesn't know about your storage,
we can't use their APIs.

virt-manager could likely do this automatically behind the scenes but there's
lots of caveats and no one has gotten around to it.

Kevin M. Goess
Software Engineer
Berkeley Electronic Press
kgoess bepress com

510-665-1200 x179
www.bepress.com

bepress: sustainable scholarly publishing