[virt-tools-list] Scripting virt-install to automate image building

Anthony Shortland anthony.shortland at me.com
Sun Jan 19 07:59:58 UTC 2014

We're running version 0.600.0 of virt-install with version 0.10.2 of libvert and version 0.12.1.2 of qemu-kvm on RHEL 6.3.

We're trying to script an automated image build process and want virt-install to exit when Kickstart completes and halts the guest virtual machine (using the "shutdown" option).

The thing is that virt-install hangs indefinitely staying connected to the text console (on ttyS0 with --graphics=none) and only exits on timeout if the --wait option is specified.

Is there any way virt-install can simply wait for the Kickstart to complete and halt the guest and then exit gracefully?

We intend to package the built image for use in our operational infrastructure.

Thanks,

Anthony Shortland,
Mountain View, CA.