[virt-tools-list] use other partition | virt-manager

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 14:09:12 UTC 2014

On 01/20/2014 01:47 PM, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use KVM & Virt-manager at Debian. I have only 2 partition on this
> Host. (see below) I start virt-manager (only)as sudo. But now, if i set
> up a new VM - the virt-manager tells:
>

>> There is not enough free space on the storage pool to create the
>> volume. (8192 M requested allocation > 3115 M available)
>

> /dev/sda1       9,1G    6,0G  2,6G   71% /
> /dev/sda6       434G    127G  285G   31% /home
>

> OK, it's clear for me why. but, where can i change the default path to
> use sda6 instead of sda1 for virt-manager (and as sudo)
>
> Yes, i have read the FAQ (Very clear) ;) And also
>
> ~/chap-Virtualization_Administration_Guide-Storage_Pools-Storage_Pools.html#sect-Virtualization-Storage_Pools-Creating-Dedicated_Disk_Devices
>
> i mean: /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf and libvirt.conf are not the right
> candidate ...

By default, virt-manager wants to put images in /var/lib/libvirt/images, which
is on your shrinking root partition.

You can do 'sudo virsh pool-edit default', change that path to something under
home, and try again. You might have to loosen search permissions on your
homedirectory so qemu can access it, you'll have to play with it a bit.

- Cole