[virt-tools-list] Focus getting stuck in viewer

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Aug 4 23:07:32 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 10:59:29AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 07/26/2016 09:01 AM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > After upgrading to Fedora 24, I'm now experiencing a new issue where
> > the mouse focus keeps getting stuck in the virt-manager viewer.
> > Keystrokes are sent to the guest VM even though the mouse pointer is
> > in an adjacent gnome-terminal window (on a different monitor).  I'm
> > using focus-follows-mouse (sloppy focus) and the gnome-terminal window
> > title is highlighted like it should have focus, and even if I click in
> > the gnome-terminal window, the actual focus of keyboard input still
> > does not change.  Additionally, I'm unable to move/resize windows
> > anymore.  The only way to fix this is to go back to the virt-viewer
> > window, double click the title bar, move it around, middle click to
> > send it under, etc. until it finally gives up focus.
> >
> > It seems that this problem is triggered when I mouse over the
> > virt-viewer window on my way to a different window on the other side.
> >

> Since your thread on the fedora test list had some responses about general
> focus issues with f24 + gnome-shell, maybe this is just an issue elsewhere in
> the stack?

Perhaps, but now that I've been keeping virt-viewer on a different
monitor (or just closing it until I need it) I'm not having the
problem.  The difference I think is that my mouse cursor almost never
mouses over the virt-viewer window now.  Is there something different
with how virt-viewer takes keyboard and/or mouse input compared to
other X11 clients?

> FWIW I haven't had any focus issues on f24 so far

Besides sloppy-focus, maybe another difference is that I have 4
monitors side by side, each rotated 90-degrees, and I typically keep
the virt-viewer window horizontally maximized on one of them.  So
crossing a monitor boundary also causes a focus change.