[virt-tools-list] [RFC] VM configuration templates

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Aug 3 14:05:49 UTC 2017

On 07/24/2017 04:04 AM, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While working on a special VM setup here, I was wondering about introducing
> some configuration templates in virt-manager.
>
> We could have a drop down list somewhere in the UI to select a template. Here
> is a list of possible templates we could propose:
>
>   * 'Full host VM'
>       expose as much as possible of the host to a single VM
>       no migration possible
>   * 'Easily migratable VM'
>   * 'normal-sized VM, as fast as possible'
>       no migration possible either
>
> Obviously choosing one of these templates would be optional. That drop down
> list could be in the final page of the new guest wizard.
>
> Any opinion on such a feature?

Sorry for the late response.

Besides <cpu> setting, what types of features do you see tweaking for 'Full
host' vs 'easily' vs 'normal'?

If the main differentiator is 'how migratable is this VM' I don't like the
idea of putting that into the New VM wizard, since I think 99% of virt-manager
users don't care about that, and migration is a difficult concept with a lot
of VM config caveats, plus it usually requires host configuration outside of
virt-manager to get working so it's unlikely to be something that 'just works'.

However I'm more open to a kind of migration vs performance setting in the
Preferences dialog that determines the default New VM setup. But to discuss
that we should start with a list of features you see enabling/disabling

Thanks,
Cole