Re: [Annoyances] X-Windows Copy & Paste

Jason Gurtz wrote:
On 8/18/2003 12:46 AM, Reilly Burke wrote:

This is another REALLY BIG Linux annoyance. I'm a desktop kind of guy, and I like to cut/copy and paste all day long. But Linux has really really bad cut/copy and paste [...]

Actualy, Linux and other UNIXen have pretty good cut/copy and paste
*provided* you have a 3 button mouse.  Both in X and using GPM in the
console, simply selecting text with the first button copies that into
the buffer and third button pastes.

This is not cut/copy/paste. It works differently from Ctrl+XVC and is completely separate from it. It really annoys me when people advertize this as cut&paste.

Technical explanation here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards-spec/clipboards.txt

It would be really good if there was a standard way to disable this behavior globally for all applications.

There are some important applications that confuse this, like xterm
(still the best terminal emulator). It uses Shift+Ins to paste primary selection and doesn't support the clipboard at all.

Opinions?

Mark