Re: XDG Base Directory Specification updated (v0.3)

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 10:08:06PM +0100, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> I am happy to announce an updated draft of the XDG Base Directory
> specification. It can be found on
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/basedir/draft/basedir-spec/basedir-spec.html
>
> Your feedback is very much appreciated.

This looks a lot better. I'll look at updating the MIME spec to reference
it. Here are a few thoughts:

- We keep configuration and shared data separate for most of the base
  directories, but then combine them in XDG_HOME. This seems... strange.

- The default for XDG_HOME (~/.xdg) is very unhelpful to users, and
  doesn't suggest its purpose at all.

- /etc/xdg is likewise unhelpful, although there's much to be said for
  putting user defaults in a different directory to system config (like
  fstab), which can't be overridden by users.

Therefore, I'd suggest:

XDG_DIRS = /usr/local/share:/usr/share
XDG_HOME = ~/.share

XDG_CONFIG_DIRS = /etc/config
XDG_CONFIG_HOME = ~/.config

However, it's not obvious that XDG_HOME in this scheme needs to be
separate from XDG_DIRS (they all need to be searched, and XDG_HOME would
only be used at install time, when it should be offered as an option
alongside XDG_DIRS).

Therefore, I'd prefer the simpler:

XDG_DIRS = ~/.share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share

XDG_CONFIG_HOME = ~/.config
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS = /etc/config

Does that make sense?

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r ecs soton ac uk		tal197 users sourceforge net