Re: XDG Base Directory Specification updated (v0.3)

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 16:08, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:13:23PM +0100, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> [...]
>
> > How would you assess the needs in this area? Do you think that it should
> > be possible in general for every data or config element to be changed
> > host/architecture/platform specific? Or do you think that such
> > requirement should only be put on specific config or data elements for
> > which such need has established?
>
> I'd say just duplicate shared stuff and put up with possible wastage.
> So we'd have ~/.opt-Linux-ix86 and ~/.opt-NetBSD-arm32 for example
> (assuming the user set the environment variable up on login).
>
> Having ~/.opt-any seems more trouble than it's worth. For example, if I
> install foo-1.0 under x86 and arm32 then I get:
>
> ~/.opt-Linux-x86/lib/foo
> ~/.opt-NetBSD-arm32/lib/foo
> ~/.opt-any/share/foo
>
> So, I've saved duplicating the 1.0 manual and resource files.
> But, if I later upgrade foo on x86 to 1.1, then I also upgrade the shared
> files for arm32, which will probably cause that version to break.
>
> The duplication shouldn't be a problem because:
>
> - It avoids things breaking due to incompatible versions.
>
> - A process can be used to find duplicates and hard-link them if space
>   becomes a problem, or symlinks can be used (~/.opt-Linux-x86/mime ->
>   ~/.mime).
>
> - Very, very few people share their home directory across multiple
>   heterogenous systems AND install applications in their home directories
>   for use with both (and yes, I'm one of the few ;-).

So to come back to the spec and to be clear, does that mean that you think
that the proposed environment variables alone are a good enough solution to
address this issue?

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian kde org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian suse com