help with font config, please!

Hi,

like any worm-blooded mortal, I want good-looking fonts
on my linux box. However, I am having a hell of a time
getting things to work after reading on many mailing lists
how easy they should be to implement :-) I have RH 7.1,
fully updated (only official updates), on a high-end Dell
workstation with a very good 21inch monitor. I use KDE 2.1.

I installed the M$ webfonts using the webFonts4Linux script.
However, the little beasties did not appear to work...

Now, I am reading the XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO, and
I already encountered a few things I don't quite understand.
For starters, I would appreciate help on just a couple of
things.

For example, the HOWTO says that XF86Config-4 should have
a list of fonts directories under "Files". All I have there
is a meager

Section "Files"
        FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Is this some kind of alias or pointer to a config file? How
do I implement the changes suggested in the HOWTO?

Second, the HOWTO suggests to add

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 100 -gamma 1.6

to /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers, or even higher that 100 dpi "if your
hardware supports is".

What is "gamma" in the server line?

Isn't the dpi meassure a function of the resolution you are
using (which is determined in XF86Config)?

How do I know what is the limit of what my hardware supports
(I have an ATI Radeon 32MB DDR, and I drive my monitor at
1600x1200 at 85Hz, depth 24)?

Finally, after using the webFonts scripts I have the directory

/usr/share/fonts/monotype/TrueType

with the desired fonts. How do I use them?

I know I have asked a lot of things from you. I normally subscribe
to the RTFM philosophy, but this font business really has me baffled.
I would tremendously appreciate all and any help you could provide.

Thanks a lot,

Marcelo