Re: MGA400

Michael Schwendt <mschwendt yahoo com> writes:

> $ rpm -q XFree86-SVGA XFree86
> XFree86-SVGA-3.3.6-38
> XFree86-4.0.3-5
>
> While my Matrox Millennium G400 (16 MB) with XFree86 3.3.6 runs fine
> at 32 bpp, the 4.0.5 version logs this error:

4.1.0? AFAIK, there never was a 4.0.5.

>   (EE) MGA(0): Given depth (32) is not supported by this driver
>
> It runs at 24 bpp, but some applications (like kwintv or zapping)
> don't like this and draw over the whole screen horizontally,
> probably assuming 32 bit pixel width.
>
> Can I do anything to fix this?

Man XFree86 .... look at the -depth and -fbbpp options. You seem to
want -depth 24 (24 bits used for colors) and -fbbpp 32 (32 bits per
pixel).

(Usually, though, it's best to just trust the Xserver on what fbbpp it
picks for a given depth, and complain to the authors of broken
apps...)

Regards,
                                        Owen