Re: v4.1 on seawolf [considerations before upgrade]

On Wednesday 22 August 2001 12:15 pm, Hugo Carvalho wrote:
> > X version, any good URLs I should be aware of BEFORE attempting the
> > upgrade. This is my only box and I don't want to tweak something
> > unexpected
>
> I got problems after upgrading.
> But they went away after running Xconfigurator with the --preferxf4
> option...

Let me guess, did the server crash, complaining that it couldn't load
the default font 'fixed' (Or something similar?)

Note, this was the message printed to the screen, the log file
/var/log/XFree86.0.log contains no such message, just several pages of
register dumps. Yes Mike, I saved the log files, if you're interested.
;)

Running Xconfigurator with no options failed silently. Actually, other
than the fact that it didn't test the configuration, there was no clue
that it had failed. However, the server crashed on start up.

Running Xconfigurator --preferxf4 solved the problem, and everything is
working for the most part now.

I'm not overly concerned, as this is an old retired machine that I only
use to play with the beta releases. Here's the info, in case Mike
Harris is interested.

The machine is an old Compaq Presario 4122 with a Centaurhauls winchip
C6 (P200 clone)
The video controller (onboard), according to lspci -v is an S3 86c325
[Virge] (rev 02)
There are still some register dumps in the logs at startup, and when
changing screen resolution.

-D