What’s new in Red Hat OpenShift 4
Immutable Red Hat Enterprise Linux CoreOS
Improved installation based on immutable Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® CoreOS for consistency and upgradability.
Single-step installation for Kubernetes applications and services, plus automated, over-the-air updates and performance tuning with Kubernetes operators.
OpenShift service mesh
Increased resiliency and performance for your distributed applications with OpenShift service mesh.
Developer-friendly serverless framework and components for building, serving, and running event-driven applications.
Full-stack automated operations
Red Hat OpenShift 4 offers automated installation, upgrades, and life cycle management for every part of your container stack.
- Single-step installation for Kubernetes applications
- Centralized administrative control for over-the-air updates and performance tuning with Kubernetes operators
- Continuous security through built-in authentication and authorization, secrets management, auditing, logging, and integrated container registry
Support for developer productivity
Code in production mode for any infrastructure. Red Hat OpenShift 4 supports well-known developer tools and helps streamline your build and delivery workflows.
- Code in production-like environments with developer self service and Red Hat CodeReady Workspaces
- Support for your choice of languages, databases, frameworks, and tooling
- Streamlined workflows like automated container builds, built-in CI/CD, and application deployments
Built-in service mesh for microservices
Microservices architectures can cause communication between services to become complicated to encode and manage. The OpenShift service mesh abstracts the logic of interservice communication into a dedicated infrastructure layer, so communication is more efficient and distributed applications are more resilient.
- Installed and updated via Kubernetes operators
- Incorporates Istio service mesh, Jaeger (for tracing), and Kiali (for visibility) on a security-focused, enterprise platform
- Frees developers from being responsible for service-to-service communication
A unified Kubernetes experience on any infrastructure
Red Hat OpenShift 4 is a consistent, managed Kubernetes experience for on-premises and cloud-based deployments.
With unified ops and admin controls, workloads are decoupled from infrastructure, meaning less time spent on system maintenance, more time coding critical services.