4 reasons to try Quarkus for Kubernetes-native Java apps

Quarkus is an open source, Kubernetes-native JavaTM framework tailored for GraalVM and OpenJDK HotSpot. It offers a full-stack framework, using top Java libraries and standards. With Quarkus, Java can be a leading platform in Kubernetes and serverless environments, while offering developers a unified reactive and imperative programming model to address a wider range of distributed application architectures. Red Hat is the Quarkus project sponsor and a top contributor to the Quarkus community. 

This checklist details four reasons why developers should use Quarkus as a programming tool.

1. Use in cloud, containers, and serverless environments

Low memory consumption and fast first response time makes Quarkus ideal for cloud, containers, and serverless environments. With Quarkus, you can:

  • Tailor your application for GraalVM and HotSpot using its compile-time boot approach.
  • Benefit from fast first response time—milliseconds versus the 10 seconds it takes a traditional cloud-native stack.
  • Reduce resident set size (RSS) memory—uses one-tenth of the memory needed for a traditional cloud-native stack.1
  • Gain near instant scale up and high-density memory utilization in container orchestration platforms like Kubernetes.
  • Achieve much higher workload density, reducing overall costs for hardware and cloud compute and memory.

2. Gain productivity

Quarkus includes built-in capabilities to automate repetitive tasks, allowing developers to get their job done faster. Quarkus features:

  • Unified configuration.
  • Zero configuration and live reload.
  • Streamlined code for 80% of the common usages and flexible code for the other 20%.
  • Simplified compilation of Java code to machine language with a one-line command.
  • Compatibility with popular frameworks like Eclipse MicroProfile, Spring Dependency Injection (DI), Hibernate, and more—allowing developers to use preferred frameworks or standards.

3. Choose your development model

Quarkus seamlessly brings together imperative and reactive models, so developers can use the technology that best fits their use case. With Quarkus, you can choose:

  • Reactive development.
  • Imperative development.
  • A mix of these development models in the same application.

4. Optimize Java

Quarkus optimizes Java and makes it efficient for containers, cloud, and serverless environments with memory consumption optimization and a fast first response time. Quarkus:

  • Features a low learning curve for Java developers.
  • Makes Java comparable to natively compiled, high-level programming languages.
  • Includes many capabilities—from database access to integration and business automation.
  • Supports microservices architectures and development.

Find, try, and deploy the certified Kubernetes Operator software you need

Get container-based software that is certified for Red Hat® OpenShift® on Red Hat Marketplace. Automatically deploy to any Red Hat OpenShift cluster in the cloud or on-premise.

Visit the Quarkus community to learn about the Red Hat® commitment to the Java community and open source.