Validate your Linux automation skills
As teams and organizations pursue digital transformation, the Red Hat® Certified Engineer (RHCE®) credential helps you to demonstrate skills critical to managing systems in a DevOps environment. One of the key tenets of DevOps is automation, and the RHCE is an extension of the knowledge required to automate the deployment, management, and support of multisystem environments—making your credential even more valuable and relevant.
Existing or future RHCEs and Red Hat Certified System Administrators (RHCSAs®) can follow different tracks to complete or renew their RHCE certification. In this piece, we review the Red Hat Certified Engineer skill path, detailing the courses and exams needed for each track.
To learn more about RHCE certification, read our frequently asked questions.
Red Hat Certified Engineer skills path
The first step in becoming a Red Hat Certified Engineer is becoming a Red Hat Certified System Administrator. To gain this certification, you can take one of two paths:
1. Skills path for Red Hat Certified System Administrator
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux® Technical Overview (RH024) - 3 hours - Free
- Red Hat System Administration I (RH124) - 5 days - Recommended
- Red Hat System Administration II (RH134) - 5 days - Recommended
2. Rapid skills path for Red Hat Certified System Administrator
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Technical Overview (RH024) - 3 hours - Free
- RHCSA Rapid Track Course (RH199) - 5 days - Recommended
Both paths converge for the RHCSA exam. Certification is required to continue forward in the RHCE skills path.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) exam (EX200) - 3 hours - Required
Skills path for Red Hat Certified Engineer
Once you have received your RHCSA certification, you may progress in the skills path:
- Red Hat System Administration III: Linux Automation with Ansible® (RH294) - 4 days - Recommended
- RHCE exam (EX294) - 4 hours - Required
Assess your skills
Take a skills assessment to determine the best place for you to begin.
Learn more about becoming a Red Hat Certified Engineer.
Becoming a Red Hat certified professional showed me the value of the hands-on certifications and being introduced to new technology topics.