The City of Montevideo is the capital of Uruguay. To support a population of 1.5 million people, the municipal government employs 8,000 public administration officers.
The City of Montevideo’s Department of Sustainable Development, Smart City Technology Management, and Smart City Platform Unit focuses on technology innovation projects that improve the municipality’s infrastructure with a focus on citizens. The city sought to develop an IT platform that would integrate infrastructure, services, and data to improve citizen satisfaction.
- Created microservices- and Kubernetes container-based platform to integrate internal and third-party services and data using Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform
- Built city service application programming interface (API) and state web portal, MontevideoAPI, using Red Hat 3scale API Management to deliver valuable information—based on real-time transportation data—to citizens and partner organizations
- Developed application, Cómo ir, to provide bus arrival time and tracking information to more than 150,000 citizen users per month
- Integrated real-time data on private and public transportation with Internet of Things (IoT) capabilities
- Improved state decision-making and traffic services for citizens with activity control system for geofencing, virtual mapping of the city’s real-world geography and vehicle information
"The Red Hat products we used were an ideal infrastructure to give our open service platform the required governance and scalability.”
JOSÉ MIGUEL BARONE
DIRECTOR, SMART CITY PLATFORM UNIT, CITY OF MONTEVIDEO