IT organizations want to deliver greater business value by increasing productivity, delivering services faster, and remaining flexible to incorporate the latest innovations like cloud, containers, and configuration automation. Modern workloads, whether on bare metal, virtual machines, containers, or private or public clouds, are expected to be portable and scalable. They need a modern, secure platform to support those requirements.
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux Server® powers the applications that run your business with the control, confidence, and freedom that comes from a consistent foundation across hybrid cloud deployments.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
As the premier platform provider for enterprise workloads, Red Hat works side by side with engineers from major hardware vendors and cloud providers to make sure that the operating system takes full advantage of the latest innovations. This leadership with partners, as well as our influence and contributions to upstream communities, allows us to provide a stable, secure, and performance-driven foundation for the applications that run the business of today and tomorrow.
With Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server, you can focus on business growth instead of reacting to security vulnerabilities and costly management configuration mistakes with built-in security controls and scale-out manageability through interfaces familiar to both Linux and Windows administrators.
Security and compliance
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server provides security technologies, certifications, and the ongoing support of the Product Security team to combat intrusions, protect your data, and meet regulatory compliance.
- Deliver resources with security using integrated control features, such as centralized identity management and Security-Enhanced Linux (SELinux) mandatory access controls (MAC) on a foundation that is Common Criteria and FIPS 140-2 certified, as well as the first Linux container framework support to be Common Criteria-certified (v7.1).
- Automate regulatory compliance and security configuration remediation across your system and within containers with OpenSCAP, Red Hat’s National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)-certified scanner that checks and remediates against vulnerabilities and configuration security baselines, including against National Checklist Program content for PCI-DSS, DISA STIG, and more. Additionally, centralize and scale out configuration remediation across your entire hybrid environment with the broader Red Hat management portfolio.
- Receive continuous vulnerability security updates from the Red Hat Product Security team quickly for all critical issues within a short time of becoming public knowledge.
- Gain peace of mind about your open source investment with the Red Hat supply chain that develops, curates, tests, and delivers certified, enterprise-ready infrastructure software and application platforms.
As the consistent foundation across your hybrid datacenter, Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server’s builtin manageability and integration with the broader Red Hat management and automation portfolio could help you realize up to 42% IT staff time savings and 74% less unplanned downtime compared to non-paid Linux infrastructure.
- Speed image building, deployment, and patch management across the datacenter with built-in capabilities and enrich the experience with Red Hat Satellite for system life-cycle management, provisioning, and enhanced patching and subscription management
- Manage individual systems from an easy-to-use web interface for ongoing management of storage, networking, containers, services, and more.
- Automate consistency and compliance across your heterogeneous Red Hat Enterprise Linux environment and reduce scripting rework with system roles, the native configuration management solution for Red Hat Ansible® Automation.
- Minimize platform update efforts with in-place upgrades for Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 6 to version 7 without the hassle of a machine migration and application rebuild.
- Resolve technical issues before they impact business operations with the Red Hat Knowledgebase, and automate the identification and remediation of anomalies and their root causes with Red Hat Insights and Red Hat Ansible Automation.
Operate with the confidence that comes from running your critical revenue-generating workloads on a proven, reliable, and high-performance foundation.
STABILITY AND RELIABILITY
Hardened, tested, and predictable, Red Hat Enterprise Linux foundation gives you the confidence to run your critical applications.
- Achieve up to 99.999% uptime with advanced hardware and cloud reliability, availability, and serviceability (RAS) and live kernel patching.
- Maintain your critical applications for 10 years or more with a subscription that offers you deployment choices of major, supported versions and a commitment to preserve application stability with each minor update.
- Improve system and storage availability with Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability Add-On for failover orchestration across your environment and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage Add-On for storage access over a network via shared storage or a clustered file system.
- Receive continued access and advocacy to innovation via the award-winning4 Red Hat Customer Portal, our expert support team, and within the global open source community.
PERFORMANCE AND EFFICIENCY
As a performance market leader, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is ready to run your toughest workloads across diverse areas like computational scalability, application performance, database throughput, and demanding storage requirements.
- Amp up performance with an operating system that has won 17 world records, in combination with our partners, for workloads that include technical computing, big data analytics, enterprise Java™ applications, and enterprise resource planning (ERP)8.
- Optimize performance and simplify scalability with independent software vendor (ISV)- and Red Hat-built application performance tuning profiles and ongoing centralized monitoring and trending with performance copilot.
- Decrease storage costs and enhance data access with the advanced compression and data deduplication capabilities of virtual data optimizer and node version manager express over fabric (NVMe-oF) protocols.
- Receive continual performance improvements with each release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux that delivers incremental kernel updates for faster boot times and optimized high-performance computing.
FREEDOM TO INNOVATE
With Red Hat Enterprise Linux, you can develop, deploy, and maintain your applications with your developer tools—on the infrastructure of your choice. With thousands of certified hardware, software, and cloud providers, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is your consistent foundation for innovation, offering the latest stable development tools, container technologies, hardware, and cloud advancements, as well as support for the broader Red Hat portfolio.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux resolves the tension between development agility and production stability for modern, cloud-native enterprise applications.
- Accelerate development of modern applications with access to curated, tested, and supported modern languages (e.g., Python, .NET Core, Node.js), databases (e.g., MariaDB, MongoDB), and developer tools (e.g., GCC, GDB) through Red Hat Software Collections and Red Hat Developer Toolset. We also offer a no-cost developer subscription for Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Deliver applications to market faster with Linux containers that combine consistent application packaging and portability with secure multitenancy. Access hundreds of certified containerized applications via the Red Hat Container Catalog.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux gives you the freedom to design and build infrastructure and applications based on your business needs, independent of underlying hardware or cloud architectures.
- Chose the architecture that supports your business initiatives, including support and availability across x86_64, IBM® Power®, IBM z Systems, and 64-bit ARM.
- Support your virtualization strategy, including hosts and guests on Red Hat Virtualization, VMware, or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Modernize applications via a container strategy with Red Hat Enterprise Linux as both the host operating system and the container image. Run and manage Linux containers and use container images to build applications and services.
Extend your datacenter to both on-premise and public clouds with support for OpenStack® private clouds, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and Alibaba Cloud Compute Service.
Deploy just what you need with additional runtime platforms like Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Real Time, for deadline-oriented apps, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host, which is optimized to run Linux containers in a minimal-footprint operating system.
With Red Hat Enterprise Linux, you gain access to and advocacy within an extensive community of partners, customers, and experts.
- Choose the applications you need to power your business with more than 4,900 certified commercially supported software vendors.
- Make the hardware choices that are right for your applications from more than 5,500 tested, verified, and supported hardware types and components.
- Bring a consistent foundation to your cloud-native applications on more than 550 cloud-certified and service partners, including Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and hundreds of regional Red Hat Certified Cloud Service Providers (CCSPs) and managed service providers.
Contact Red Hat sales to evaluate or purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
For more information, visit: redhat.com/en/technologies/linux-platforms/enterprise-linux
2 Red Hat client data, June 2017
3 State of Linux in the public cloud for enterprises, July 2017
4 Red Hat has been recognized 7 years in a row as one of “The Year’s Top Ten Best Web Support Sites” by The Association of Support Professionals. https://www.redhat.com/en/services/support