Microsoft SQL Server has been a critical component for managing and accessing data for decades. But as organizations continue to move toward cloud and hybrid cloud infrastructures, processing demands and security requirements have accelerated the need for an alternative approach to running SQL Server.
Learn how organizations are realizing cost, performance, and security advantages by automating Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® for Microsoft SQL Server with Red Hat Ansible® Automation Platform.
1. Simplify and optimize deployment
Managing database operations can be time-consuming, error-prone, and complex. With Ansible Automation Platform, organizations can:
- Install and configure SQL Server in just minutes instead of hours or days.
- Manage consistency across on-premise datacenters and public clouds such as Microsoft Azure.
- Optimize, tune, and secure SQL Server on Red Hat Enterprise Linux to improve performance and throughput and reduce vulnerabilities.
- Orchestrate existing scripts and code including PowerShell.
2 Reduce costs and improve return on investment
Managing hybrid cloud environments can be expensive and unpredictable in both resource time and budget. Organizations can reduce these costs by:
- Automating the setup, deployment, and management of SQL Server in hybrid environments.
- Cutting operational costs by using existing people, skills, and database infrastructure with a flexible, open source operating system and integrated automation capabilities.
- Taking advantage of a variety of subscription options with competitive pricing in Microsoft Azure.
- Relieving teams to focus on more innovative and transformational projects.
3 Consolidate tools across your organization
IT teams often adopt and use multiple disparate tools to accomplish repetitive, one-off tasks. By standardizing automation on a single, open source technology platform, organizations can:
- Share a common framework to build, deploy, and manage applications end-to-end.
- Install and configure workloads consistently, even at scale.
- Overcome potential Linux skills gaps with a simple YAML-based language and prepackaged Red Hat Ansible Certified Content and Ansible validated content.
- Expand automation to storage, networking, and security systems and beyond.
4 Improve operational performance
Automation is essential for ensuring that running SQL Server on Red Hat Enterprise Linux is reliable for critical business operations. Through automation, you can:
- Optimize both operating system and database performance at deployment time.
- Boost efficiency, deliver services faster, and reduce downtime.
- Monitor performance trends with Grafana using the SQL Server on Linux dashboard.
- Identify and remediate application performance bottlenecks and security issues using Red Hat Insights integrated with Microsoft’s SQL Assessment API.
Find out how Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform works.