Red Hat Preliminary Exams
Test your progress on the way to certification
Red Hat® Preliminary Exams are designed to help you validate in-demand, foundational skills and knowledge in some of today’s most important technologies. By connecting to remote, cloud-based environments, you can take these exams when and where you want.
Red Hat Preliminary Exam
- Exam duration: 1 hour
- Format: You can take these exams from your own device anywhere that has reliable broadband internet access (wired LAN recommended).
- Curriculum: These exams cover useful knowledge of a technology, but do not validate the entire set of skills required to be fully proficient in its use.
- Proctoring: You must present a government-issued photo ID at the beginning of the exam and will be selectively proctored during the exam itself.
- After passing, you’ll receive: A Red Hat certification ID that proves to prospective employers and colleagues that you passed the exam. This ID can also be used in the future as you earn Red Hat certifications.
Red Hat Certification Exam
- Exam duration: 2.5 - 4 hours
- Format: You can take these exams in a public- or private-enrollment classroom session or as a Red Hat Individual Exam in an authorized testing location.
- Curriculum: These exams validate that you have the skills and knowledge necessary to use the technology associated with the certification in a product environment.
- Proctoring: You must present a government-issued photo ID at the beginning of the exam and will be continuously monitored throughout the exam.
- After passing, you’ll receive:
- A Red Hat certification ID that proves to prospective employers and colleagues that you passed the exam.
- A print-ready electronic certificate showing your certification status.
- An electronic badge you can use to share your Red Hat Certified status through social media and other digital media.
- Access to special merchandise available only to Red Hat Certified Professionals (RHCPs).
- Discounted access to the annual Red Hat Summit.
- Access to other promotions and benefits specific to RHCPs (may vary by region).
What are Red Hat Preliminary Exams?
These hands-on exams test skills and knowledge of a subject area, but not in sufficient depth to earn Red Hat certification. These exams are designed to gauge skills and demonstrate progress toward proficiency for those on a learning path toward certification.
Is training available to help me prepare for a preliminary exam?
Yes, we offer comprehensive training in multiple training formats and languages for all subject matter covered in preliminary exams. You are not required to take this training, but we highly recommend it. If you have experience in the subject matter being tested and are not sure if you need training, try a preliminary exam to see for yourself.
Should I take a preliminary exam if I am working toward certification?
There is no requirement to take preliminary exams as part of your certification journey, but you may find it useful as a way to gauge your skills attainment and experience what it is like to take a Red Hat exam. Passing a preliminary exam also allows you to share skills validation without having to pursue the stronger endorsement that comes with certification.