Wish you could manage tens, hundreds, even thousands of Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® servers as easily as 1? You can with Red Hat Satellite, an easy-to-use system management platform for your growing Linux infrastructure. Red Hat Satellite is built on open standards and based on functional modules that let you enhance management capabilities for Red Hat Enterprise Linux on virtualized or bare-metal deployments.
- Why should I use Red Hat Satellite when I already get updates from my Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscription?
While you can do basic administrative tasks with the Red Hat services included with your Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscription, Red Hat Satellite adds extensive life-cycle management capabilities, including:
- Software management.
- Configuration management.
- Subscription management.
From a single console you can easily manage thousands of systems as easily as 1, which can help increase system availability, reliability, and auditability. These management capabilities are often needed by organizations with growing Red Hat Enterprise Linux environments.
- What is Red Hat Satellite Capsule Server?
- The Red Hat Satellite Capsule Server is used to extend the management of Red Hat Satellite to remote datacenters. Typically a Red Hat Satellite Capsule Server instance is deployed in each remote datacenter to federate services like provisioning so they can be performed locally. It’s focused on providing a local repository of certified content for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. This model extends Red Hat Satellite to deliver updates, errata, and software in a highly scalable fashion while using less network bandwidth. Red Hat Satellite Capsule Server replaces Red Hat Satellite Proxy.
- My environment won't let me have a network connection from my Red Hat Satellite Server back to Red Hat. What other options do I have?
You can download content from the Red Hat Content Delivery Network (CDN) to a staging system and store it on physical media so that your organization can keep certified content up to date. Many organizations that have tight security requirements use the disconnected Red Hat Satellite configuration.
- How is security implemented between Red Hat Satellite Server and its managed nodes?
From a features perspective, Red Hat Satellite lets administrators implement a full audit trail of all activities taken through Red Hat Satellite and assign policies and permissions for simple role-based administration.
Interoperability and customization
- Does Red Hat Satellite work with other management products from vendors like HP or IBM?
You can use the application programming interface (API) in Red Hat Satellite to script commands inside the product and to exchange information with other management products. Customers have used the API in Red Hat Satellite to integrate it with other management tools from vendors like HP and IBM.
Installation and architecture
- What type of hardware do you need to run Red Hat Satellite Server 6?
There should be at least 1 networked host with the following minimum specifications:
- 64-bit architecture.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5 or later.
- A minimum of 2 CPU cores, but 4 CPU cores are recommended.
- A minimum of 8GB of memory, but ideally 12GB of memory for each instance of Red Hat Satellite. Use 4GB of swap space where possible.
- A minimum of 5GB of storage for the base install of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, 300MB for the installation of Red Hat Satellite Server, and at least 10GB of storage for each unique software repository to be synchronized in the /var file system.
See the Red Hat Satellite installation guide for the most current specifications.
- What kind of database is required to run Red Hat Satellite Server in my environment?
Red Hat Satellite 6 includes an embedded PostgreSQL database.
- Are there installation and consulting services available for Red Hat Satellite Server?
Yes. Red Hat Global Professional Services offers consulting services specifically for Red Hat Satellite customers. Contact Red Hat Sales for more information.
- Can Red Hat Satellite manage virtual instances of Red Hat Enterprise Linux?
Red Hat Satellite can manage any system running Red Hat Enterprise Linux on any supported hypervisor, including Red Hat Virtualization and VMware. To do this, each Red Hat Enterprise Linux system managed by Red Hat Satellite must have the necessary Smart Management Add-On entitlement.
- Can you run Red Hat Satellite as a virtual instance using Red Hat's virtualization technology? Can you run it using VMware?
Red Hat Satellite and Red Hat Satellite Capsule Server are currently supported on Red Hat Enterprise Linux guests hosted by supported hypervisors, like Xen, KVM, and VMware hypervisors.