OpenStack® is gaining traction as the leading open source cloud computing platform. Many customers want to migrate away from their existing platforms to OpenStack to save money and gain flexibility and agility.
We’ll show you how a large organization used a combination of Red Hat CloudForms and the virt-v2v tool to efficiently migrate over 1,000 virtual machines (VMs) from vCloud to OpenStack. The key is automation.
CloudForms inventories current VMs and content, the migration steps are built as a CloudForms state machine, and the entire process is automated. As part of the process, virt-v2v tool is used to convert the VMWare images into a format that can be loaded onto OpenStack and launched as an instance. With
this tool, we were able to migrate many virtual machines simultaneously with the click of a button.
In this webinar, you will learn about:
- Infrastructure setup of the migration environment with vSphere, CloudForms, and OpenStack.
- Automated migration via CloudForms.
- Using the virt-v2v tool for VM conversion while maintaining existing network settings.
The OpenStack® Word Mark and OpenStack Logo are either registered trademarks / service marks or trademarks / service marks of the OpenStack Foundation, in the United States and other countries and are used with the OpenStack Foundation's permission. We are not affiliated with, endorsed or sponsored by the OpenStack Foundation or the OpenStack community.
- Lan Chen, senior consultant, Red Hat
- James Mighion, consultant, Red Hat
- Bill Helgeson, principal domain architect, Red Hat
Date: September 10, 2015
Time: 11 a.m. ET
Length: 1 hour
Audience: Business and Technical