[Freeipa-devel] Time-based account policies

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Thu Mar 26 15:49:27 UTC 2015

On 03/26/2015 04:42 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-03-26 at 16:39 +0100, Martin Kosek wrote:

>>> +1
>>> The host *knows* it's local time zone, let's not set us up for sync
>>> issues.

>>> +1
>>> "Local Time" is a special name the stray out of the Olson database, you
>>> can see it as the wildcard '*' or 'ALL' in other rules and it means that
>>> the host will use its local time zone with the specified times of day
>>> and days of the week
>>
>> See http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2015-March/msg00447.html.
>>
>> I agree with you both if we are talking about Local Time rules. I was mostly
>> talking about UTC rules where the time zone is required to set the right UTC time.
>
> Sorry, but if I understand what you are suggesting then I do not agree.
> Either you use UTC based timezones *or* you use an Olson time zone. You
> do *not* try to convert something like Europe/Prague to UTC as you would
> change the meaning of the rule.

Ah, I think where the confusion is coming from. When I said UTC, I rather meant
time + Olson TZ, i.e. time rule that is the same across globe, unlike the Local
Time. Sorry.

I think this guy
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2015-March/msg00158.html)
injected the "UTC" as an alias for this method :-)