[linux-lvm] one PV crashed

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Thu Feb 7 04:32:02 UTC 2002

Quoting "Heinz J . Mauelshagen" <mauelshagen at sistina.com>:

> Buy a replacemeent drive (say /dev/sdg1 ;-) and run
>
> fdisk # to partition it the same way the broken one was
> pvcreate /dev/sdg1
> vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvmconf/vg1.conf -n vg1 /dev/sdg1
> vgscan

Oki, since I had a LVM with broken loop support, I'll try with a spare disk...

----- s n i p -----
[papadoc.root]# pvcreate /dev/sdh1
pvcreate -- physical volume "/dev/sdh1" successfully created

[papadoc.root]# vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvmconf/vg1.conf -n vg1 /dev/sdh1
vgcfgrestore -- physical volume "/dev/sdh1" doesn't belong to volume group "vg1"

[papadoc.root]# vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvmconf/vg1.conf -n vg1 -o /dev/sdg1 /dev/sdh1
vgcfgrestore -- size of physical volume /dev/sdh1 differs from backup
----- s n i p -----

I'm not sure exactly how big my previous (now crashed) sdg disk was, or how big
the sdg1 partition was...

How do I:

        1. Find out _exactly_ how big the sdg1 partition was (the only
           number I have is '15.5Gb')?
        or
        2. Use the  existing sdh1 even though the size don't match?

> After either of the above aproaches you need to lvreduce/lvremove those
> LVs which had extents allocated on the failed drive.
>
> You can figure out which those are by
>
> pvdisplay -v /dev/sdg1

[papadoc.root]# pvdisplay -v /dev/sdh1
pvdisplay -- getting physical volume size
pvdisplay -- "/dev/sdh1" is a new physical volume of 2.22 GB

Not nearly the same size as the original sdg1, but....

cracking Saddam Hussein Albanian class struggle smuggle BATF Legion of
Doom Cuba ammonium DES 747 767 pits Serbian plutonium