[fedora-arm] New to the list

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 21:03:50 UTC 2009

Frank,
   Thanks for the reply and for the information. I'm already a
package maintainer for Fedora but I wasn't sure what the procedures
would be for ARM since there doesn't appear to be a build target for
the ARM arch in the infrastructure.

   I'm currently an undergraduate in computer science (will be
graduating in May) and I want to pursue operating systems research for
my graduate work and if I am lucky, Ph.D work as well so I would like
to end up developing kernel level or systems level for the ARM
platform. The beagleboard really has most of my attention at the
moment just because I think it is quite the interesting device and see
a lot of potential for it. I guess I should have worded my request for
information better, but I was wondering what needs to be done system
level or kernel level as far as porting to ARM (specifically the
beagleboard) or if it has already been done and fedora can be
installed on the beagleboard, is there anything that I could help test
development (and hopefully contribute fixes to, etc.). I really am
just finding myself stuck in the middle of a completely different
architecture than I'm used to (the lack of uniformity across the
architecture is the biggest change) and I was hoping to find some
guidance on where to target my efforts.

   My main goal up front is to spin a beagleboard image so that users
of the beagleboard who want to install fedora would have a potentially
"easy" way of doing so. Probably not the traditional install method,
but something somewhat easier than rolling their own from the
toolchain as described on the wiki.

Thank you for your time,
-Adam

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, didn't hit "reply to all" so that it
would also go to the list. Just wanted the reply to go to the list in
case someone else wanted to jump in. Thank you again for your time.